Text Size

Language

Schmidt Resigns from Hermantown City Council Due to Move

Press Release Residents | July 7, 2020

For Immediate Release

July 7, 2020

Schmidt Resigns from Hermantown City Council Due to Move

city_counselor_kristi_schmidt

Hermantown, Minn. – Kristi Schmidt announced her resignation from the Hermantown City Council at the Monday, July 6 meeting. Schmidt’s resignation was due to her moving outside of the City of Hermantown.

“Since being elected to the city council, I’ve had the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people who care deeply for the community of Hermantown,” said Schmidt. “I’m pleased with all that we’ve accomplished together during my time on the council and appreciate those who do so much to make Hermantown the amazing community that it is. Serving as a city councilor has been a dream come true for me and I will always cherish this experience.”

Schmidt, who was elected to City Council in November of 2016, was a strong leader in the community’s Tobacco 21 initiative – the first of its kind north of the Twin Cities. Additionally, Schmidt was a key contributor in the opening of the Essentia Wellness Center, the launch of the City’s new brand and website, the creation of the Communication and Community Engagement Manager position, and more.

“In a few short years, Kristi made an incredible impact as a City Councilor,” said John Mulder, Hermantown City Administrator. “Her contributions will be felt for a very long time, as her time as a councilor was filled with progress on many fronts across our community. Her voice and her leadership will certainly be missed.”

Schmidt, who called the City of Hermantown home for more than two decades, was also an important proponent of the community’s “Hawk Pride” initiative to help build Hermantown’s new schools

Schmidt’s resignation leaves an opening on the City Council, but with an election approaching in a few months, initial plans are to leave the seat vacant until it is filled by Hermantown voters in November.

###

For more information, contact: Joe Wicklund, Communications & Community Engagement Manager, City of Hermantown at [email protected] or 218.729.3614.